You are here

What to do if you receive a statement of offence

Online payment

In order to meet and exceed its clientele’s needs, the MRC de Vaudreuil-Soulanges Regional Municipal Court offers a new online payment service, for a fee of $5 per transaction. Here are the main advantages :

  • 24/7 service, thereby eliminating schedule constraints
  • Total payment made by credit card
  • Information is kept secure and confidential – you will receive a confirmation number and a receipt to print, as well as an email confirmation of your transaction
  • Direct access to your file on the regional municipal court’s database
  • Late fees avoided (ease of making timely payment)   
  • Instant update of your personal file


The total amount (fine and fee) is required. No partial payment will be accepted.

In person

At the Vaudreuil-Soulanges Regional Municipal Court – Visit our offices any time during  business hours. Cash, cheques, bank drafts, debit card and credit card payments (VISA and MasterCard) are accepted.

By mail

Payments can be made by cheque, bank draft or money order payable to the "Regional Municipal Court of Vaudreuil-Soulanges." You must attach to your payment the reply form identifying the offence number. Please note that if your licence is suspended, personal cheque are not accepted.

280,Harwood Boulevard
Vaudreuil-Dorion (Qc)
J7V 1Y5

Phone : 450-455-9480
Fax : 450-455-8856
E-mail :

At the Regional Municipal Court

Within 30 days following reception of your Statement of Offence, the complete payment will be accepted at most financial institutions upon presentation of the Statement of Offence.

Through Desjardins Accès D or The National Bank's Internet Banking Solutions

You must be a customer of Desjardins or of the National Bank of Canada and you must be registered with the Internet service of those institutions. Payment must be made within the 30 days delays.
If you are a registered customer, you must go to the site of one of these two financial institutions, select the "Regional Municipal Court of Vaudreuil-Soulanges" from the list of suppliers and complete the requested information fields.

Processing your Statement of Offence

To expedite the processing of your application when communicating with the court, whether by email, mail, fax or in person, you must be able to provide the following information:

  • Statement of offence number
  • Name
  • Complete address (civic number, street, city, postal code)
  • Home phone number
  • Work phone number
  • Date of birth

You have the obligation to enter a plea of guilty or of not guilty within 30 days after the date of receipt of the infraction.

Guilty Plea

If you plead guilty to the infraction, you must pay the entire fine and requested fees in order to avoid any extra fee or inconvenience (licence suspension, salary seizure, warrant, etc.)
When a payment is sent to the court, you are deemed guilty of the offense.

Not Guilty Plea

If you plead not guilty to the offence, you must send your plea to the Court with the reply form attached to the statement of offense. Your plea must be forwarded to the Court within a maximum of 30 days after receiving the notice of infraction.

It should be noted that despite the preference (day or night) that you request for your hearing, the Court is not held to your choice. In the event that the Court acquits you of the alleged offence, you will have nothing to pay. However, if you are convicted, additional fees will be charged.

Notice of hearing

After transmission of your not guilty plea, you will receive by mail a notice of hearing indicating the place, date and time for the hearing of your case.

Change of plea before the hearing

You can change your plea of ​​not guilty to guilty. The regional municipal court must receive your new plea before the time scheduled for your hearing.

Request for an interpreter

If you need an interpreter after receiving your notice of hearing, you must inform the Regional Municipal Court in writing or by telephone. This request must be made within 10 days before the time scheduled for the hearing.

Application for remission

If, for serious reasons, you cannot attend on the set date of your hearing, you can apply to re-schedule. This request must be provided in writing no later than noon on the last Friday, preceding your hearing, and must be confirmed by the registry.

If the request is granted, a fee of $31 per case is automatically added. Otherwise, you will be sentenced by default and you will have to pay for the judgment.

Summons to witness (summons or subpoena)

If you receive a summons as a witness, you are obligated to be present in Court to testify. You could be legally charged if you refuse to attend. Compensation for travel will be granted  at $0.415 per kilometer.


The hearing of a case generally takes place in five main steps.

Roll call

The roll call is done at the beginning of the session. All cases entered will be named one by one. It is important that those summoned confirm their presence at that specific moment.

Evidence for the prosecution

The prosecutor presents evidence first. It generally consists of the statement of offence that you received and the offence report.

Depending on the circumstances, the prosecutor may call witnesses:

  • the officer or other municipal officers who issued the statement of offence
  • any other person whose testimony may be necessary.

You will then be allowed to cross-examine these witnesses. If you chose to be represented by counsel, he or she will proceed with the cross-examination.

Defence evidence

Once the prosecution's case has been heard, you will then be able to present your case, testify as to the facts relating to the offence and present your witnesses, if any. You will also be allowed to produce documents or any other material to support your defence. If applicable, you must provide three copies of these documents for the judge, the prosecutor and yourself.

The prosecutor may, thereafter, proceed with your cross-examination and of your witnesses.


Once both sides have presented all evidence, the judge will hear conclusions from both parties and then render a decision.


The judge may deliver his or her judgment on the bench or will adjourn for deliberation. He or she will then schedule a judgment date. In one case or in the other, you will receive a notice of judgment by mail.

If the judge renders a not guilty verdict, you will have no fine to pay and your case will be closed.

If you are found guilty, additional fees will appear on the notice of judgment, as specified in the tariff of court costs in penal matters tariff of court costs in penal matters.

Failure to submit a plea

If you do not submit a plea or the full amount of the requested fine and costs within the required deadline, a judgement by default will be rendered against you, without any notice. Additional charges will be added to your file. Upon receipt of the notice of judgment, you must pay the  requested amount within 30 days. 


Back to top